Friday, August 17, 2012

Bowls with Borders Blog Hop

Hello friends! I am SO excited to be a part of this blog hop. It's my first time participating in a quilt blog hop and my first time paper piecing. I won't lie it took me some time, ripping seams, asking another quilter friend for help {aaand I may have banged m head on my ironing board a few times}. BUT I absolutely love it. Once I 'got it' it was much easier and fun and while I'm not an expert I will be doing more paper piecing. I have more ideas in mind already and some things pinned. {btw, it was the actual process of paper piecing that I struggled with, not the pattern. It would have been faster for me to learn seeing someone do in person but I there is a helpful video HERE if you want to paper piece and haven't before}

Before I show you my bowls I want to thank Madame Samm at Sew We Quilt for organizing this blog hop, Carol from Just Let Me Quilt for hosting and of course Regina for her lovely pattern you can purchase HERE. It was well written, includes additional applique options (I didn't use this time) and there are so many ways you can stack the bowls. Many short stacks, long stacks. They can be made into wall hangings like mine are or I've seen table runners and snack mats, you could make a full size quilts and with adding borders any size you'd like.
Finally! Here are my Tipsy Bowls. You do have to be careful the bowls don't fall over. At one point they were ready to crash to the floor. I'm still not sure exactly where I went wrong but tipsy feels fitting for my kitchen where this will hang. If only piled up dirty dishes were so attractive. ;) I mostly used greens and oranges with pops of aqua, reds and browns. The colors go with my kitchen accessories.



Here are some close up shots. :) Some of the prints remind me of pyrex bowls. I love vintage pyrex and hope to have my own set one day. You can also see a tiny peek of what I pictured to be a 'tablecloth' on the bottom of the bowls buuut I forgot to add a border to the bottom and my binding covered mostof it. Sad face.


I left the trim piece off of my chicken bowl so the chickens and eggs could be seen. I really really love this print.


I also used some unconventional fabrics for quilting. Do you see the eyelet? I love eyelet so I had to include some. I backed it with a piece of white cotton so the batting wouldn't peek through. And the chevron? It's more of a home decor weight than quilting weight. But I loove chevron. Please ignore the blunder on my ric rac print. It was late and I couldn't bring myself to rip a seam or start over.


This veggie print is also one of my favorites, that along with the green border print and the print used for the bottom bowl were fabrics I bought with my kitchen in mind. I look forward to making other items with them soon.


This top print reminds me of Pyrex also and the reverse of it would be similar to the pattern on my dishes. I would have continued piling up these bowls but ran out of prints to use. It was a lot of fun and I'm thinking of bowls to make for others.


Here you can see the quilting more. I did a freestyle zig zag on both borders (uneven on purpose), then did approx 1/4" lines. I outlined the bowls and stitched the ditch between each bowl.



Thank you so so much for visiting! I hope you'll come back and see me again.

Here is a list of everyone else participating in the blog hop today! I can't wait to see more bowls. You can find the full schedule of participants HERE {runs August 13-28} as well as the pinterest board HERE.
August 17th


Also linking up to:


Weekend Bloggy Reading

67 comments:

  1. Oh, lovely! Don't worry, they are not breakable,lol! It is such fun to have those loved fabrics on the bowls.Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your stack of bowls! and I love that they tilt. hehe. You have so many beautiful fabrics that you used. This will look wonderful in your kitchen I'm sure. Thanks for sharing your bowls with us. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bowls are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice bowls, Ilike them.
    Greatings from Germany !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Stacks of bowls.. love the colourful choices

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tipsy bowls is exactly the right name for your stack! It looks good!
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job! Loads of bowls, they might tip over! Love the fabric choices !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your bowls and the colors are fantasic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great stack of bowls! I love the way each bowls means something to you!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being a little tipsy is just what I like on your pile besides your color and fabric choices. I am thinking of adding a broken bowl block to the pattern... interested?
    Regina in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sehr schöne Schälchen :-)
    LG, Gudrun

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the different prints you used in your bowls! The chickens are really cute! I like that you tried the different types of fabrics also to get the bowls you wanted. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rebecca. Love the green throughout - very cool, clean and lots of white space to appreciate the rest of the colors. Your quilting is super and I enjoyed seeing it from the back. That's always a great thing to see! Thanks for sharing your tipsy bowls that stopped just short of toppling over!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your stack of bowls and one of my favorite color is green. And thank you for the stories of the fabric you have choosen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your project is wonderful. Thank you for sharing with us today.
     

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very beautiful bowls and quilting.Love your fabrics combo.Green is my favorite color too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome stack of bowls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bowls are wonderful and the quilting really looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bowls and quilting are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like your a paper piecing pro. Your kitchen bowls are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I love your tipsy bowls. That is just the way they look stacked up in my kitchen if the stacks get too high! And the prints you used were fantastic. Lovely wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your bowls look fantastic and what a great tipsy stack! Great addition of unconventional fabrics......this makes it uniquely....you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great stack of bowls. You have some really great fun little fabric in there! Good job on the quilting also!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love the bright colored fabric that you used. Makes the bowls come to life, thank you for sharing with us. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. RosemaryB here: Love your project! I adore the colors you used, I love the white lace bowl-- well, I love everything about your creation!
    Thank you so much for sharing the top and underneath as well!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good Day Rebecca...I think all that head banging on your ironing board WORKED for you..lol take a peak at that blog over there...pointing to it lol YOU did marvellous..and you will like my line for your bowls...lol I can't believe this is your first attempt..honey you did good...very good!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job. Love the colors and your quilting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely stack of bowls, you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your choice of fabrics. Saw the eyelet right away! Someday I would love to try doing something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  30. love your stack of bowls...they look like they will topple over any minute :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great job...very creative use of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  32. How wonderful! Great set of bowls. I like how the rick rack and chicken/ eggs fabric look in your Bella bag , too.
    Congrats on being one of the chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your bowls are great. I like all the different and unusual fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very sweet stack of bowls. Your fabric choices are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice! A great pile you made, great choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, the chickens caught my eye right away - love the use of all the fabrics, they add such wonderful character to your bowls. Thank you for sharing with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  37. How wonderful! Great set of bowls. I like how the rick rack and chicken/ eggs fabric look in your Bella bag , too.
    Congrats on being one of the chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wonderful fabrics make a great stack of bowls. Just great..

    ReplyDelete
  39. I LOVE it!! It's so pretty and your kitchen is lucky to have it :) What an amazing job you did!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great use of color in your bowl block. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I really like the fabric choices you made.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh how fun and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  43. well you would never know it was your first time at either...I love your stack of bowls!! very nice colour arrangement and wonderful work. You presented everything great!

    ReplyDelete
  44. "Oh how pretty" was my first thought on opening your blog. Love the fabrics and the stitching detail on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great job! I like the tipsy look and all the fabrics you used. It will be a great reminder of how you conquered paper piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is a successful work! Really!
    Many greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  47. You did a lovely job on your bowls. I love the Pyrex bowls as well and your bowls do remind me of them.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Very CUTE tipsy bowls! I'll bet they would make a tremendous crash if they tipped over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh that is so pretty, you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I used to have some of those vintage pyrex bowls and they did look like those. I love the colors in your project and all your quilting! Great job and thanks for hopping with us. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love your stack of bowls : ) Beautiful bowls : )

    ReplyDelete
  52. I like your colors - they are my favourite ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hey girl! I didn't realize you blogged. :) (It's Christy, from MK years ago. ha) I LOVE this! It really does look like bowls. Amazing! Your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  54. fun to look at each fabric you used for your bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Love your color choices and quilting detail of the back :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. Your bowls are just sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Loving that green!! I have not always been a fan of that color but my tastes have changed as I have aged... Love your bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Ah, the best laid plans--your tablecloth looks like it would have been fabulous~ I can't tell you how many times I've cut off too much fabric or not allotted enough for the look I wanted. In the end, I say it's wabi-sabi and smile. I love the background kitchen fabric. YOur hanging is a colorful addition to the blog hop--thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. I love the chicken fabric! SO cute!! Nicely done...

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thanks for pointing out the eyelet....I like how you added the variety. Your bowls are beautiful!
    Smiles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  61. Rebecca, your bowls are fabulous, love you fabric choices...and the lime green border frames your bowls perfectly. So glad you joined the blog hop and look forward to seeing you participate in many more. Great job!! I had many hours of bonding time with my ripper....way too much fun!! Thanks for sharing, have a wonderful week!! Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  62. Nice bowls, I like the colors.
    Sophie from http://sophiedentelles.canalblog.com/ (I cannot comment as an OpenID with name/URL like in other blogger blogs)

    ReplyDelete
  63. Great job! I love how the bowls look like they are weaving, what a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Your bowls did turn out cute and you're right they do remind me too of the pyrex bowls of the seventies with the greens & oranges. I rather like the border on your ric-rac bowl, Is unique and not really out of place on that bowl. This was a fun hop, my first time on a hop like this too, along with about 1/3-1/2 of the others!!! Sorry I'm late (internet issues)

    ReplyDelete
  65. These are so cool!! I need to get better at paper piecing…

    ReplyDelete
  66. Love the tipsied bowls! You did a fabulous job. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...